The boy is coming of age. We are entering the zone where many fear to tread, and few come out alive.
Saturday, Momma, Pappa, and the boy went to brunch. (Really it was an early lunch at a breakfast only diner, but it sounds cool to say we took the boy to brunch.) Momma ordered a nice big plate of scrambled eggs, toast, and sausage for the boy. The boy was merrily munching on a sausage link, when he decided to chuck it at Pappa.
Stunned, Pops asked, "What happened?" (Duh!) The boy, in all of his 19 month wisdom, shrugged his shoulders, lifted his hands and shook his head. "Your guess is as good as mine, Pops!"
Like the bad parents we are, we laughed until it hurt, which only encouraged the boy to be more cute.
Sunday at dinner, again, food hit the floor. Daddy told the boy that was "No no." The boy said it was "Uh-oh."
Dad: No, no.
Boy: Uh-oh.
Dad: No, no.
Boy: Uh-oh.
Dad: No, no.
Boy: Nuh-oh.
What a great compromise. Again, Daddy and Mommy rolled on the floor with laughter. Not a wise parenting choice, but it could not be helped.
I know we are in trouble now, and heading nowhere good on the fast track. I had little to no fun raising the girl. There was too much angst in the marriage, and life in general, to have fun! But now I am older and, if not wiser, maybe just goofier. I made the decision early on to enjoy this one, and I have. I am nervous with the third one on the way that I will miss out on a lot of growing that the boy will do. The family dynamics will change drastically, so I am enjoying the poop out of what I have now. Not that 2 kids under 2 will be bad, I just like to space them 9 years apart...
This morning as we left for school, someone insisted that he bring his 4 foot pedal tractor with him, which means that same someone would not sit in his carseat because the tractor was behind him, and he HAD to see it. So the tractor went back in the garage for after school. It was a LOONNNGGG drive to work today.
In to school we go, happy happy happy, until... A little boy had a firetruck in his backpack which was open and hanging near the boy's. Guess who wanted the firetruck, and proceeded to throw an all out tantrum when Mommy said no, that stays in the other boy's bag. We are talking face burried on the ground, feet going, crying tantrum. And what do I do? Laugh. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen. I knew he was upset, after all, everything is "mine" now. I had the "experts" in my head saying walk away, don't give in, don't make eye contact, as if he has turned into some kind of ferocious beast, which he kind of did...
I did pick him up, tried to soothe him, and carried him into his classroom. We showed him the other firetruck in his room, and his little friend handed him a train car, explaining in Toddler Talk that the boy should take the toy, stop his crying, and get over it. Life goes on, man.
But today, the screaming from the back of the building was my kid. I gave him a hug and a kiss, told him I would be back, and left him in the arms of one of his favorite teachers, knowing that he was learning a lesson in "mine/not mine."
I don't remember the girl acting out like this. She probably did, but I was too wrapped up in getting through to pay much attention. I have blocked much of that time from the "first marriage" out. It seems as if I have been here before, but have become comfortably numb to the whole experience. Which is a good thing, because instead of being terribly embarrassed, I am able to laugh about it.
Every day I tell him I hope he has kids that act just like he does now. And when they do, I will send them back home with him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment