Immediately after the incident:
A few days later...
On Friday, July 20, 2007, I received a phone call from daycare. The Troll's teacher said he had fallen and bit his tongue. I immediately asked if it needed stitches, and she said that I had better come over and look .
{Instert sound of stomach hitting the floor}
Upon my arrival, I examined the Troll's tongue, and proceeded to call the pediatrician. They recommended that due to the amount of bleeding and the fact that the injury went down along the side of his tongue, it would be best to go to the ER.
EMERGENCY ROOM!!!! I can do Urgent Care, Dr. office visits, etc. BUT NOT THE ER!
Ok, deep breath in, hold, and out. Repeat. (Thank-you Dr.Joy for square breathing!)
Keep in mind, the Troll has 2, TWO, teeth. They are both on the bottom. The cut is on the top of his tongue. He either has razor blades in his gums, or he rolled his tongue on the way down. Either way it is a feat of wonder.
Luckily the ER that I went to had a pediatric ER unit staffed with pediatric nurses and docs. Yea! It is so worth the 40 minute drive from home. The ER in our town is not worth going to for any reason, not even a splinter.
Ok, so anywho...
The resident doc looked at the troll's tongue, and did not know what the doc would do. Hmmm... Not a good sign. The doc took one look, and said, yep, at least one stitch.
Do you know how they stitch up the tongue of a wiggly 7 month old? First they put a straight jacket on him, then velcroed him to a back board. He managed to get his legs free, so I was holding that end down. The nurse clamped his tongue, pulled it out, and the doc stitched him up. No numbing medicine as that would have required an additional needle.
3 minutes later, he was done. The stitch is supposed to dissolve, but when I left him this morning it was still in. It has not bothered him, though. He still eats, drinks, plays, and sticks his tongue out as he always has!
ER Visits for my Kids:
BSG (11yrs): 2 times
LMSP (2 yrs): 5 times - 1 time stitch, 1 time hospitalization, 1 time firetrucks and ambulances at our house
Troll (8 months): Once so far, but about 29 dr. visits, and now a stitch in the ER
Gee, do we see a pattern forming here? Is it a gender related issue? Is it because BSG has a different daddy? Am I slacking as a mom in my old age?
All I have to say is, thank goodness for vasectomies!

No comments:
Post a Comment