Friday, July 21, 2006

20 Weeks



Yesterday (7/20) was the almight 20 week ultrasound. Little Mr. Bumpy was laying on his belly (as with the most of his scans), and made it very difficult to see and measure. Heart rate is excellent at 156 (+/-), he wiggles, punches, has 4 heart chambers that beat together, a sweet little profile, 10 fingers, 2 kidneys, etc.

He also has a cyst on his umbilical cord, just near the insertion point. We had seen it before, but the techs are not supposed to tell us anything unless the doc tells us first. We have one tech who is willing to share as much as she can, which is WONDERFUL, so I know what to ask the doc about at my next visit. (I am scanned weekly, but see my regular OB every 4 weeks until the scans are done. Sometimes the OB specialist does not get through his reports on a weekly basis, so my regular OB is sometimes a week or 2 behind on updates.)

Right now the cyst is 8 mm in diameter, and is fluid filled.

So, what does this mean? I have no idea. I am researching and reading, and not finding anything good. Lots of big words that don't mean much, and no one reporting a cyst of 8 mm. 4mm - 7mm is the average.

I spoke with the OB's nurse (low and behold they sent this report over ASAP, so she had it in front of her!) My doc is out all next week, but the report did not indicate any need for immediate panic. (Sure, it's not their umbilical cord with a cyst!) But, the nurse was right. If there was a cause for concern, I would have seen the doc right away. I am being scanned again next week, and the following week, and the following week... and seing my doc on the 10th of August.

I need to quit reading about this stuff for a while. How does that PSA go? The more you know... Yeah, right. Cut me off of the information highway!

Oh, poop. Just gotta keep the faith. God and Jesus will bring us through. The kid has a momma and a daddy, a big sister girl, a big brudder, maw-maw's and pappas who cannot wait to see, hold, and kiss him.

18 more weeks...
18 more weeks.

No comments: